Tuesday, September 22, 2009

CHAPTER 9

Many educators believe that with the growth of media and information technology, media literacy is just as important as – or even more important
than – print literacy (that is, learning to read and write).

A student cannot be computer literate or technologically literate without having print literacy. Although you can interact with the computer and not have print literacy it is to a limited degree. I do believe that technology can support becoming print literate. I also believe that becoming literate with media and technology is just as important as print literacy.

What is your position on the relative importance of the two “literacies”?.

I believe that becoming literate with media and technology is just as important as print literacy. A person is not literate in today’s ever changing world if they do not have some degree of computer and technology skills. Without a doubt these two literacies are viable to education. We must learn not how to become literate, but how to stay literate. Therefore, lays a new question; could someone who is literate become illiterate?

What information from this chapter helps support your position?

Roblyer discussed teaching students how to learn new literacy. This is a real key for our students to be able to be competitive academically and in the work place. Not only is this true of students, but also of us as educators. We must be willing to get out of our comfort zone in order to “learn” new literacy. Technology is dynamic therefore we must be ever changing with it, so we won’t be left behind.

2 comments:

  1. Hello Nancy,

    I have a response to the question you posted about "could someone who is literate become illiterate?" I feel personally you can be able to read and write--- those are the basic fundamentals-- that should make you literate. Now what I am noticing is that you can become illiterate by not being part of a certain in group or be skilled in certain areas. For example, we all are educators but how many of us can pick up a manual to your car and fix any small minor or minute problem. I laugh at this because just this weekend I was having my brother do a tune-up on my car. I knew exactly what to buy. I felt illiterate when it came down to reading the manual to figure out what a PCV valve is. Ladies... it is not funny trying to figure out in a manual what it is and where it goes. Of course, I had to ask the clerk at Auto Zone to inform my brother-in-law where that PCV valve went. I personally felt illiterate even though my degree is in English. So that answer Nancy is yes because of the technical terms used in certain trades or jobs-- that can also include subjects as school.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nancy, I thought your insight about someone who is literate becoming illiterate was very insightful and probably very true. I was quite proficient at Windows 3.1, but after I had my son, I wasn't using the computer much and never used Windows 95. When I got my next computer with Windows 98, the amount of change and the sheer amount of new options and capabilities kind of boggled my mind. I still feel sometimes that I'm playing a bit of catch-up (yes, I'm on to Vista and Word 7 now). Without the ability to read and write and understand the help menu, I'd still be in trouble today!

    ReplyDelete